Absence of Chlamydia pneumoniae in brain of vascular dementia patients

Wozniak, M., Cookson, A., Wilcock, G. and Itzhaki, R. (2003) Absence of Chlamydia pneumoniae in brain of vascular dementia patients. Neurobiology of Aging, 24 (6). pp. 761-765. ISSN 0197-4580

Full text not available from this repository

Publisher's URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0197-4580(02)00236-1

Abstract

We recently detected cytomegalovirus (CMV) in brains of 83% of vascular dementia (VaD) patients and 34% of age-matched normal people. Since CMV and also Chlamydia pneumoniae (Cpn) have been found in some studies to be associated with coronary artery disease (which shares several risk factors with VaD), we sought Cpn DNA in VaD brain DNA. We examined brain specimens from 19 VaD patients, 16 elderly normal people and four Alzheimer’s disease (AD) patients for the presence of a sequence in the Cpn gene for rRNA, using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and taking stringent precautions against contamination. We did not detect Cpn DNA in any of the brain specimens, the sensitivity of detection being 10 copies or fewer bacterial DNA sequences per tube or, in terms of infectious units (IFU), 0.025 IFU. Our results do not support a role for Cpn in the aetiology of VaD, either in the 83% of patients in whose brains we detected CMV, or in the remaining 17% without CMV in brain.

Item Type:Article
Uncontrolled Keywords:chlamydia pneumoniae, vascular dementia, cytomegalovirus, Alzheimer’s disease, polymerase chain reaction, herpes simplex virus type 1
Faculty/Department:Faculty of Health and Applied Sciences
ID Code:4934
Deposited By: H. Upload account
Deposited On:21 Jan 2010 13:16
Last Modified:27 Jan 2015 11:33

Request a change to this item

Copyright 2013 © UWE better together